The SCAA's education program is an important part of our
mandate. Workshop topics have
included copyright, arrangement and description of archival holdings,
digitization for archives, managing audio-visual records, the preservation of
historic photographs, the preservation of optical and magnetic media
(modern information carriers), and public awareness for archives. An introduction to archives workshop is offered annually. See our list of previous workshops
Introduction to Basic Archives workshop
The SCAA is pleased to offer "Basic Archives" workshops for volunteers.
Currently we will hold a workshop on Saturday September 17th in Regina at the Regina Public Library.
Though it is open to all and registration is FREE,
participation is limited to the accommodations available. Please contact
to express your interest in attending.
Also, as it is
a FREE workshop, handouts are limited to 10 participants and lunch will be on your own.
This workshop is structured for a novice or someone looking for a refresher and would include:
- What are Archives?
- Archival Institutions and the Role of the Archivist
- Fundamental Principles of Archives
- Appraisal and Acquisition
- Arrangement and Description
- Making Archives Available
- Preservation and the Digital World
A "Basics" workshop held on April 29, 2015 in Esterhazy
The SCAA is asking if there is any interest in "Basic Archives" workshops.
Dates will be determined by the
level of interest.
Previous 2016-17 workshops and presentations:
- Presentation: --- (Melanie Delva, Archivist for the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster) June in Saskatoon at the Western Development Museum
- Introduction to Basic Archives (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor) Monday October 5 in Saskatoon, at the Saskatoon Public Library.
- Workshop: Introduction to Basic Archives (Cameron Hart, SCAA Archive Advisor) Wednesday April 29 in Esterhazy, at the Esterhazy Community Museum.
- Presentation: SaskCulture Diversity Planning Program (Dean Kush, SaskCulture, Assistant General Manager) Wednesday June 10 in Regina