As early as March 1916, the Board determined that “In reference to the University Roll of Honor it was
decided to have the name of all students, and others connected with the University who have enlisted,
painted on “ribbons” in corridors.” The name on the left side of this ribbon, A.R. Gruchy, was the first
casualty among the University students who enlisted. Half of all University servicemen were wounded or
killed in WWI.