Struthers on ParticipACTION Saskatoon
Date: August, 2004
ParticipACTION Saskatoon was a community based event that operated
in parallel with a similar event in Sweden.
ParticipACTION Saskatoon (pilot community)
Description: ParticipACTION’s model community
program to demonstrate to the rest of Canada what might be possible.
Funding: All locally generated or donated.
Established in 1972 as ParticipACTION’s first model community
program to assess if it would be possible to obtain cooperation
at the local level from the public and private sectors (including
media), as well as from community organizations and community “thought
leaders”. If positive, to assess what strategies worked and
what could be the expected results.
The target audience was all citizens of Saskatoon. A volunteer
Board of Directors, headed by Dr. Sam Landa and comprised of influential
leaders representing a variety of community sectors, provided the
Funding, as required (almost all initiatives were volunteer or
donated), was completely generated locally. National ParticipACTION
did not provide any funding, a key decision that could mean the
program could be duplicated in any community.
- To promote the fitness of the citizens of Saskatoon through
participation in sports and physical recreation
- To work in cooperation with all other persons, organizations,
societies, firms, institutions and the local mass media to promote
physical recreation and fitness among the citizens
- To assess the effectiveness of a community-based, volunteer
initiative to achieve the above two objectives
- Extensive, donated support from the mass media
- Variety of resources produced (local sponsorship or donated)
by many groups and organizations
- Approved by Saskatoon City Council, March 27, 1972
- Public launch early in 1973
- Many local promotions and community-wide participation events
- Eventually, high profile international challenges with Umea,
Slides of ParticipACTION Saskatoon - Prepared by Dr. Donald Bailey
Copy of an excellent presentation on ParticipACTION SASKATOON prepared
by Dr. Donald Bailey, University of Saskatchewan Kinesiology Professor,
member of the original ParticipACTION SASKATOON Board of Directors,
and longest serving member of the national ParticipACTION Board